WEST END OF THE HIGH STREET
The biggest change here is the Health Centre built on the land on the left in 1983 and extended in 1994.
The building with the Clock Tower was the Corn Exchange, built in 1868 and once used for social events in the village (now the local pharmacy), with the larger building on the right, the Red Lion Hotel, once a coaching inn.
The house in between in the old picture was at one time a shop, but taken down in in the 1930's for the building of a Masonic Hall. Unfortunately the project was beset with problems and came to naught. A road was put through the site in 1951-52, with the building of new housing on the hill to the north of the High Street.
The postcard view can be dated prior to 1920, as it depicts a horse and cart at the village pump well on the right. The well, with a trough for horses and cattle to drink from, was demolished to became the site of the village's War Memorial, unveiled in 1921.
Thank you to everyone who has donated or loaned old photographs for scanning.
Auld Earlston welcomes all contributions on the village's past - contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or via the comments box below.
For more photographs on village life, look at our associated Facebook page Lost Earlston